Friday, October 5, 2012

This Morning

This morning, as part of a battery of tests I need to get before starting chemo, I had a bone marrow biopsy.  I cringed when they told me that I needed to have it done.  Everyone I've known who had one talked about excruciating pain.  Then they said the 5 magic words:

You will be under sedation.

Well, I wouldn't call it sedation.  About 2 days ago, the nurse called and said they don't do IV sedation for the biopsy.  She would be calling in a prescription for pills to put me to sleep.  "I'm prescribing 1-2 pills," she said.  "So how many should I take?"  "Well,"  she explained, "I would take 2 but you won't know how you react.  It's up to you."  Immediately visions of Weekend at Bernie's appeared in my head.  Would Stein have to carry me fireman style through the halls of the hospital?

Needless to say, I didn't sleep last night.  What if the pills make me sick?  What if they don't make me sleep?  What if I feel the pain?  And on and on.  I tried all of my tricks to try to get to sleep. Nothing worked. 

This morning, the rule-follower that I am took the 2 tiny pills exactly at 8:00.  When we sat down in the waiting room, I said to Stein, "I don't feel anything."  Yet when they called me to come into the room, I thought when did I drink 4 beers on an empty stomach this morning?  I didn't feel sick, I just felt woozy.

I never did fall asleep, but had an "It's all okay" kind of feeling throughout the procedure.  It lasted about 10 minutes, and there were a few pokes and stings, and a lot of pressure.  All in all not a bad deal.

I had a taste for toast, so Stein and I stopped at Zingermann's for some bread, and went home to eat breakfast.  I pushed the plate next to me on the couch, and took a 2-hour nap.

Right now we're getting ready to go visit friends in Indy and then tailgate at the Purdue/U of M game tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it.  Distractions are good.

Up next week?  Wednesday and Thursday will be full of tests - EKG, lung test, PET scan, CAT scan, insertion of the port for chemo, etc.  Have all my calls forwarded to the U of M Cancer Center.  By the way, why is every other building on that campus sporting a name of a donor who gave money to build it?  I guess I get it.

3 comments:

  1. I was hoping that you would be yelling in the hallways and totally embarrassing Stein. That would have been awesome. Glad you aren't feeling much pain. Be sure to take it easy. And eat something more than toast before you start drinking.

    Oh, and I'm hoping that you aren't there enough to warrant a name on the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective to laugh at the ridiculous people and the the things that come out of their mouths. Sleepless meets Bernie...that's a good image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I had a relationship with Larry & Richard for a few years there... nice guys. Heck, they made sure Bernie never lost his sunglasses! KUDOS, eh!?!?

    Sleep. Rest. Drink when you're up to it.

    ReplyDelete