Friday, October 19, 2012

Live from the Cancer Center - It's Chemo Day One!

I intended to write this live from the Cancer Center, but I was a little distracted.  Day one down, eleven to go.  I'm really glad this is over and done.  Now I have a better idea on how the process will typically go.  The control freak in me was freaking out with all of the unknowns.  What if they can't access my port?  What if I get sick in the chair?  What if I forget to bring something from home to keep me busy?  I always tell my class that they shouldn't ask worrisome, "What if" questions.  We can't be bothered by what's to come.  Now I was doing just that.

Despite worrying, I did get a decent night's sleep.  I woke up and put the Lidocaine on the port so I wouldn't feel it when they accessed it.  

We got to the Cancer Center blood-draw lab at 7:45 this morning.  (Did I tell you my mom came into town?  She came in on Wednesday night, and will probably stay until Tuesday.  It's good to have her here.)  I gave them my card and then was called in when they called my name.  I mentioned that I had a port, and the woman said, "Oh!  You have a port?  Well, then you need to come over here."  She led me to another woman who I assume is the solo "port person" in the lab.  This woman asked what type of port I had (the Power Port, of course!) because I guess different ports require different supplies.  She accessed the port, no problem, and was able to draw the blood needed for my lab write up.

After that, we had an appointment with the "Skills Lab".  There, we met with a nurse who gave us the run-down on what to expect today and in the future, what to do to keep my immune system protected, what I should/shouldn't eat, and what to keep in our house for possible side effects.  The nurse was previously a nurse in the infusion center, so she had some great tips and advice.  What a great service they provide.

Back to the Cancer Center we went, and checked in to get my infusion.  When I was called, they took me back to an alcove-type room where there were 2 chairs for patients.  Only one person is allowed to be with me at a time, so Stein came in with me initially, and my mom waited in the waiting room until she switched with Stein later on. 

The nurse came in and explained what would be going on today.  First I was given a cup of various pills all designed to help with nausea and other effects of the infusion.  Then I was given the various chemo that is used for Hodgkin's.  We learned something interesting today: chemo is based on your disease, and also your height and weight.  There is a formula that is used, and the medicine is made in the pharmacy next to the infusion area on the day that you have the chemo. 

One of the medicines (the "B" in my ABVD protocol) makes some people exhibit signs of allergy.  Because of this, when it was time to give me that drug, they only gave me a small dose, and then waited an hour to see if I had any effects.  I didn't, so they could proceed with the treatment.  And now on subsequent visits, I won't have to wait that hour.  Hooray!  One less hour of my time.

At the end, she flushed the port with saline, "unplugged" the port, and sent me on my way.  I got home and slept a little, then felt a little nausea.  I have 2 prescriptions that will help with nausea - one that is pretty mild, and another that is the same pill I took when I had the bone marrow biopsy.  Obviously, I can take the mild one during the day if I'm at school, but not the other one.

Right now I'm feeling tired, but not too bad, and (knock on wood) no nausea.  I'm told that I may feel bad on Sunday when the steroids they gave me begin to wear off.  We'll see...  I'm also told that chemo has a cumulative effect, where the 3rd or 4th treatment may hit me a lot worse than this one.

So what did I do while I was in the chair for 4.5 hours?  I read some magazines, played on the iPad, sent some texts and emails, slept, ate lunch, and people watched.  My mind was pretty distracted as I was trying to take everything in, so I didn't do anything for more than about 20 minutes at a time. 

I'm not looking forward to the next treatment, but I am relieved to have this first one out of the way and know what to expect now.  Next time I think I'll suggest some vodka be added to the chemo cocktail.  It may have just-as-good results with relaxing me.  After all, alcohol played a big role at the beginning of this process, why not now?

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, words of encouragement, cards, emails, gifts, texts, and food.  It makes this whole crazy ride less like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and more like (I cringe when I say it) It's a Small World.

No comments:

Post a Comment