Monday, October 15, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

So I told my class today.  I almost threw up before I was going to tell them.  This was one of the hardest things I've done in any aspect of the careers I've had in my life.  Speak in front of 100+ people?  No sweat.  Train employees and open 2 restaurants in a week?  Kid's play.  Organize a 4-day event with people flying in from all over the world?  Piece of cake. 

I had them gather on the floor in a circle so I could see all their faces.  I told them that I had something to tell them about me.  I said I recently found out I have Lymphoma, which is a cancer that is in the Lymphatic System.  I talked about Lymph Nodes, etc.  I also told them about the chemo I'll be getting and how this will cause me to be at 60-70% of my normal energy level, and I will probably lose my hair.  I told them that this form of cancer is very treatable, and I'm hopeful with the outlook.

Some of the questions/comments from the class:

Why don't you just shave your head now and make a wig out of the hair you have now?

Is it contagious?

You should get a wig that looks like your hair now so no one will know.

How did you get it?

Is your hair going to grow back?

What is your energy level at now?

Your hair already looks like it's thinning.  (To which I had to tell him that I haven't started the chemo yet).

So you're not going to die?

What are you going to do on "wacky hair day"?

I then sent out an email to the parents.  I got a few nice replies, and also at parent/teacher conferences tonight I got a lot of nice comments.

I'm so glad that's over.  Now I can breathe easier knowing I'm not keeping a secret of sorts.  Now I can start planning what I'm going to do on "wacky hair day".

7 comments:

  1. I was thinking about buying the Madagascar 3 movie that comes with the rainbow afro wig. Interested? ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Amy...not sure why my name isn't showing. Expect something in school mail this week!!!

      Delete
  2. I suggest buying up all of the clearance Halloween wigs and making "wacky hair day" everyday!
    I can see it now, long flowing blonde hair, red hair, clown hair, afros, black curly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite comment- "you hair already looks like it's thinning" (gee thanks for that ego boost!). Glad you got it over with

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the question about your energy level now. It's like the student was trying to gauge how you were going to be. Very analytical mind. Love it.

    Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't hurl. Always a bonus when you dodge that bullet!

    ReplyDelete