Sunday, October 14, 2012

How it All Began

First of all, thank you to all of you who have contacted me in various ways about what's going on.  I will try to write back to you, but please be patient.  The amount of calls, texts, and emails is humbling and a bit overwhelming.  I'm feeling the love, that's for sure!

A lot of you have been asking me how I found out I had Hodgkin's.  I'll try to explain it here...

Over a year ago, whenever I would drink alcohol, I would get a pain that started in my shoulder and would radiate down my arm.  Of course I consulted Dr. Google, and a lot of the posts that I read were from people who said, "Oh yeah, I had that, and then later I was diagnosed with Lymphoma."  I freaked out and went to my doctor, telling her about my "research".  She asked if I had any other symptoms (fever, fatigue, night sweats, etc.).  I didn't have any symptoms (and still don't), but she had me get a chest x-ray and consulted with an oncologist colleague of hers.  The x-ray came back clear, and the colleague said that the pain in my arm wasn't a symptom.  I felt comfortable with the results and went on with things.

Over the past year, the pain would be there when I drank alcohol, but the pain and duration would depend on what type of alcohol I drank, and also if I ate before or during drinking.  Sometimes I wouldn't have any pain at all.

About a month and 1/2 ago, I was out with friends and the pain came back.  This time, however, the pain was localized to my chest.  I felt where the pain was, and noticed a bump on my chest.  I went to the doctor who ordered an MRI.  The MRI showed possible Lymphoma, so I went in for a biopsy.  That confirmed the Lymphoma, and also confirmed that it was Hodgkin's.

I'm glad that the tumor in my chest grew outward instead of inward.  We were able to catch it early, and without the other symptoms, I would never know that I had it.  Catching it early and not having symptoms makes the prognosis even better.  I'm thankful for that.

The bottom line?  Bottoms up!  It may save your life!

2 comments:

  1. Well, there's a reason to start drinking! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kelly,
    I've noticed that you handle life with grace and courtesy with a dash of humor mixed in. This current situation is no exception. Bravo my friend.
    Xo, Miki

    ReplyDelete