Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Testing, Testing

Today I had a series of tests that will help the doctor know what type of and length of treatment he will prescribe.  My first test (CT scan) was at 7:30 a.m., but they wanted me there an hour before!  By the time my second test (PET scan) was nearly over, I realized that if I was at school, I would've just started teaching.  They were able to get me in early to the PET scan, and then we were able to get in early to the pulmonary test.  We tried getting in early for the echo-cardiogram, but they were booked.  So home we went, to catch up on things and eat something.

Some things I learned today:

1.  Contrast liquid, no matter what "flavor" it is, tastes like crap.  I had to drink 2 bottles of it before my CT scan.  And then another one before the PET scan.  When I first started drinking it, I almost started crying because I didn't think I could do it.  But I ended up distracting myself while I drank it which seemed to work.  Let's just say that because I couldn't eat this morning, and then had that crap in my belly, I was glad there was a bathroom nearby. (TMI - sorry)

2.  My faith in the customer service at the hospital has been restored.  Every tech or nurse whom I met today was so nice.  From the tech who helped me find out where/when my next appointment was in case I needed to keep the IV in (more about that later), to the woman at pulmonary who got me in early, to the tech at cardio who apologized that they couldn't get me in earlier.  That's all it takes, people.  Just be nice.  My fifth graders could give them some lessons.

3.  Einstein Bros. Bagels at the hospital rocks!  I have to admit, I went in there with my ops hat on, and was ready to do an inspection.  The place looked great, and it was well staffed.  Hard to believe that people were up in arms when that went in.  I guess because it replaced Wendy's, but I'd much rather have an everything bagel with a shmear than a double with cheese.  The frosty is debatable, though.

4.  The iPad is a godsend.  (Thank you Stein!)  They have wireless access at the hospital, so we can surf to our heart's desire.  It will definitely come in handy when I start chemo and have to be there for 4-5 hours at a time.  What a great distraction.

5.  I may become a troll by the time this testing stuff is done.  Most of the tests were done in B1 in the hospital.  Yes, the basement.  I'm sure this has to do with the machines and what they emit, etc., but no sunlight.  Thankfully, I won't have to be tested too often.

6.  Stein is a rockstar.  Not that I just learned that today.  Since the initial diagnosis, he has been... coordinator of calendars, head chef in the house, making sure I'm comfortable, calling friends and family to keep them updated, my number one cheerleader.  Reason #7,241 why I married that man.  He was definitely listening at our wedding when the phrase "in sickness and in health" was said.

7.  If you ever work in a blood-draw lab, keep your mouth shut when you're attempting to put a needle in.  Every time I go to have blood drawn or if they need to start an IV, the tech spends 5 minutes flicking my arm and hand in various areas to locate a vein.  Then he/she goes through a series of explanations, apologies, and narrations that are completely unnecessary and frankly freak me out.  I can't bear to look at the needle going in, why do you think I would like to hear about it?  This morning's attempt consisted of many "I'm so sorry's" and "I'm normally good at this" and "We'll have to abort this one and try again".  (I do have another arm, you know.)

Tomorrow, we're back for more fun when they insert my port.  Back down to B1, of course.  That's in the morning, and then we have an appointment with the doctor when I think he'll prescribe my treatment.  I'll be sure to keep y'all posted.

In the meantime, thank you so much for all the support you continue to provide us.  It keeps our chins up.

No comments:

Post a Comment