Saturday, May 4, 2013

When Negative is Positive

I was a schizophrenic mess.  I went in for the biopsy, thinking it would be the same as the one I had done before. It wasn't.  I tried to be brave, think of the positives, and kept telling myself how lucky I continue to be in this adventure.  One part of the biopsy procedure was painful and brought on tears that wouldn't stop.  Throughout the five days following the procedure, I had moments of tears in some not-so-convenient places at some not-so-convenient times.  Like at the dentist's office. 

We had an appointment to see my oncologist on Thursday, which meant almost a week until we got the results.  I thought about calling my doctor early in the week to see if he had the results.  Part of me wanted to just find out.  Part of me didn't want to hear bad news.  So I just tried to keep myself busy.

Wednesday was a gorgeous day.  Bright blue sky, sun shining bright, and temperatures in the seventies.  Friends sent me a text wanting to know if we wanted to meet them for dinner.  I called Stein on the way home from school to ask if he wanted to go.  When he picked up the phone, I could tell he was in a good mood.  Long story short, the doctor tried to call me at home, and then called Stein to tell him the results.  The good results - - Negative!

We were both so relieved.  We had been holding off making plans for our trip to see Chris this summer.  We both had been holding our breath, hoping that I wouldn't need chemo.  And I don't!

I never thought that having radiation would sound good.  I will probably need 10-15 sessions of radiation, so either 2 or 3 weeks of going everyday.  I go on Thursday to have a scan done.  They will use that scan to see where they will point the beam when I get the radiation.  Each session takes just minutes, and the effects will be minimal and temporary.

I'll keep you posted on the next steps as we get them.  Thank you for your continued support on this roller coaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment