Thursday, May 23, 2013

Radiation Day One

I'm glad the first session is over and I know what to expect for the rest of the (16) sessions.  I tossed and turned all night last night, trying to anticipate what it may be like.  They told me that the first session takes the longest (40 minutes), but most sessions will take about 20 minutes total, including undressing, waiting to be called, and re-dressing.

I forgot to mention that I had two simulations done before I actually started the radiation.  At the first one, I was positioned on the bed of the CT scanner, and they marked my body with a Sharpie in four different places.  Then they placed stickers over those marks so that they wouldn't wash off in the shower.  After they had me positioned just so, they rolled me into the tube and took some pictures.  The whole process didn't take long, including a "tour" of the place and how to check in when I started my sessions.

As we waited for them to call me back with my schedule, Stein and I realized that the sessions may run into our vacation to go see Chris.  We called the doctor's office to inquire about this, and we received news we hadn't expected: they wanted me to have a second scan because they wanted to position me a different way and limit the amount of radiation I would receive in different spots.

So, I went in at 7:00 the next morning for the second scan.  As I was getting prepped for what I thought would be the same as the previous simulation, the tech said to me, "And you know we're making a mask for you, right?"  Visions of the propaganda video we watched danced in my head.  I remembered seeing the masks, but breathed a sigh of relief when I was told I wouldn't need one.  This is what it looks like:
They had me lie on the table and said to close my eyes to prevent the water from the mask from dripping in my eyes.  When they put the wet mask on my face, they clamped it into place like in the picture.  I still had my eyes closed when they slid me into the tube.  I am not claustrophobic, but I had a few moments of panic.  Normally when I'm in a CT scan, MRI, etc., I have my eyes open so I have a general idea of where I am.  This time I didn't.  At one point I felt like I was going to throw up.  I laughed as I thought, How is that going to go down with this mask over my face?  Finally, they pulled me out of the tube, made a few marks on the mask, and then un-clamped the mask which had dried.  Now every time I go in for a session, they put the mask over my face and clamp it down into place.  This ensures that my head and shoulders are in the same position every time.  I have to agree with Chris and Rick in that in this day and age, you would think they could come up with something else that was less medieval. 

 That was last Friday, and then Monday I received my schedule.  I will have 17 sessions of radiation total, with the last one on June 17th (just in time for our trip to see Chris!).  I told the woman who schedules the appointments that I was a teacher and would like an early-morning schedule.  Be careful what you wish for, I guess: most of my appointments are at 6:40 a.m.!  I am glad that each one will be out of the way and I don't have to take time off or worry about being there after school, but I'm also disappointed because I started running in the mornings again.  My sister-in-law Anne is my running buddy, and I love those morning runs together. (Although I pray for rain the night before we run, I am always refreshed and glad that we did it.)  I am also anxious to take off the weight that I put on during the months of chemo. 

So there you have it.  I'll continue to keep you posted on everything.  Thank you for your continued support, and thanks to those who have donated to Patty's marathon!  You're the best.




No comments:

Post a Comment