Monday, February 18, 2013

Catching Up

Now.  Where was I?  Oh, let's just catch up. 

We just got back from a weekend catching up with all sorts of people.  Friday night we went into Chicago and met some friends from Michigan for dinner.  I joked that we had to travel to Chicago to meet up for dinner.  We also met up with some family from Stein's side (at dinner and after).  The funny thing looking back, is that we never saw anyone from my family.  Huh.  And I was the one who grew up there!

Anyway, Saturday, we headed up to Milwaukee for our annual trip to see friends and catch a Marquette basketball game.  It's always a fun time for us, because a lot of these friends we never see until this event.  I love it because in the midst of the longest-shortest month of February, we get to break it up and do this.  The only thing missing this time was Chris.  It didn't feel the same without her there.  Although we improvised - our friend Sandy made a "Flat Chris" that could be brought to the game and out with us afterward.  So even though Chris is in London, her flat version will be able to keep up with what's happening here.  Brilliant.

Throw into all this planning and traveling: a couple busy weeks of school, Stein's birthday, and not to mention Valentine's Day and the start of a week off.  I dreaded Valentine's Day (as all teachers do), but was pleasantly surprised by the day we had.  My kids were great and we had a good time. 

In the spirit of catching up, I also need to catch you all up on the cancer stuff.  I had a doctor's appointment a little over a week ago, and he delivered some good news.  The results from the PET scan showed that the tumors are shrinking.  He had a big smile on his face when he came into the room to tell us.  I have 3 more treatments to go.  Nine down!  Once those are done, I will have another PET scan (Yay!  More yucky goop to drink!) and that will determine whether or not I will have to get radiation.  In my doctor's words, "We'll see if there is any residual cancer that may need to be mopped up with radiation."  I instantly thought, 'Mopped up'?  Like there's a cancer spill in aisle nine?  I laughed as my sister-in-law Anne and I took it a little further and exchanged texts on the subject.

So.  There you have it.  Things are moving along, good news has been received, and now I have a week off.  It always feels so decadent at the beginning of a week off.  The possibilities are endless.  Hope all is well in your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment