Wednesday, February 27, 2013

10 Down, 2 to go. Or 5/6 done.

However you want to say it, I'm near the end.  Part of me can't believe that I've gone through ten treatments of chemo.  Another part of me believes it and says, "Let's get this done!"

The last treatment was pretty normal, aside from a little issue with the port.  That pesky port - I love the thing because I don't have to get poked, but I hate the thing when it acts up.  There's really no reason why it acts up, the nurses say that this sometimes happens.  Leave it to me to be the problem patient.  When they can't get a blood return on the port, I end up going through a series of different motions and such to get the return.  Try back in the chair.  Okay, now lean forward.  And now lift up one of your arms.  Try turning your head.  With your head turned, now cough.   This ends up being simultaneously humorous and frustrating.  It reminds me of trying to get a clear station on the TV with rabbit ears antenna.  Maybe if I hold a position just so, the blood will be flowing.

Mickey sat with me again this time (Thanks, Mick!) and we had a good ol' time in the cancer center.  It was weird because both times in a row that she came with me, she experienced no bad weather on her drive in, some snow on Friday, and then an uneventful drive home on Saturday.  I'm glad for all of that because weather here can be so unpredictable and sketchy.

Which brings me to my next item - we have a snow day today!  Finally a legitimate one that I can enjoy.  Can you believe that the two others we've had this year were on chemo Mondays?  As I said in my earlier post, I really felt gypped with that first one, and the second one was the same.  This one, however, had all the sweetness of a snow day - the wondering, the anticipating, the planning, the sleeping.  I actually used this morning to get a jump start on my report cards.  I also went to lunch with my sister-in-law Anne and Eric and Mia.  Now I'm catching up on the blog and things around the house.  And I'll wrap up the afternoon by throwing some pulled pork in the oven for dinner.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to spring and a change in the seasons.  In Michigan this can be far off in the distance, but I'm ready.  I'm ready for lighter clothes, walking outside without tensed neck muscles, and sunlight later than 6:00.  A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment