Thursday, December 27, 2012

I'm Lucky. My Own Angels and Elves

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday if you celebrate one.  We had a nice, relaxing Christmas spent doing a little family stuff and a little alone stuff.  We got to see cousins, aunts, grandma, siblings, sisters-in-law, brother-in-law, nieces, and nephews on Stein's side.  Next week, we'll get together with some of my family, too.

The holidays always make me pause and think about the people in my life.  This year, especially, I've been thinking about all the people who have been such an integral part of our lives.  We are truly blessed to have the support of you all.  We feel humbled by your generosity, good thoughts, and prayers that you send our way.

Along the way on this crazy-cancer adventure, there have been people who have made me stop and think how lucky I am to know such compassionate people.

 I can't begin to tell you how much time and energy Stein has put in to make my life easier and more manageable throughout this ordeal.  From wrapping Christmas gifts, to bringing more water to me at chemo, to scheduling and keeping appointments in the calendar on the iPad, to making dinner most nights when all I want to do is lie on the couch.  He's been upbeat and caring, concerned and humorous, thoughtful and realistic.  I keep saying to people, "I don't know how I'm going to repay him."  He's truly taking "in sickness and in health" to heart.  I'm lucky.

My sister-in-law and Chris have been rock stars on the Ann Arbor and Chicago fronts.  They both have arranged meals to be delivered to us via folks from Chicago (we've had pizzas flown in - thanks, Patty!  And take-out delivered - thanks, Shark and Jane!) and by folks in Ann Arbor.  On the Ann Arbor front, people have been bringing us homemade meals on days when we can't possibly think about making dinner.  Chris and Anne have also coordinated a cleaning person to come on the days I have chemo.  It is so wonderful to come home to a clean house and not have to worry about dusting or vacuuming.  What a luxury.  And I can't forget to thank Anne for her bi-weekly delivery of Cheez-Its!  Sometimes it's the only thing that sounds good to eat.

A great group of long-time girlfriends from Chicago have organized themselves to deliver a package to me every week before my chemo day.  These boxes have been filled with useful goodies and treats that have made me laugh.  Magazines, books, pens, cards, homemade kids' pictures, candies, and other useful items have been waiting for me on my doorstep.  Meg, Kathryn, Jane, Patty, and Chris, you all rock.

My friend Amy keeps me supplied with movies, TV shows, and magazines to make the chemo time shorter.  Every so often I find a package in school mail, or a bag hanging on my classroom door.  So thoughtful.

Stein, my mom, Mickey, and Chris have sat with me at chemo.  It's a pretty boring thing to sit and watch nurses change IV bags and watch me wheel a cart to the bathroom, but it's great to have the company.  They've taken a lot of their own time to come and do this.  I'm lucky.

So many of you have sent cards, texts, prayers, emails, books, and gifts our way.  It's been great getting these surprises.  Please know that these all go a long way.  I stay positive because I know I'm going to be alright, I know that my prognosis is good, and I continue to hear good news from my doctor.  I'm getting there (almost 1/2 done!).  What has helped me keep my positive attitude has been all that you've done or said.  I'm speechless.

I'm lucky.  And grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment